And done – all filled in and outlined! (But, arg, how I hate the way the oatmealy linen photographs as such an odd color.)
In an odd contradiction, this was both my favorite sampler (by far!) and I’m not really happy with it at the same time. So I have very mixed feelings about sharing the FO with you.
I absolutely loved stitching it. So so so so much. Those filling stitches in all their multi-stepped glory, the rustic feel of the crewel wool, the different textures in each block! Swoon!!!
But. I made a big mistake in the outlining of it. It’s horrible. I chose the wrong color, or the wrong stitch – or possibly both. When I tested that fuchsia against the sampler, it looked perfect. Maybe using chain stitch and creating such a thick line is the problem. It makes the outline really dominant in a cringey, cartoony sort of way. Blerg.
I wonder if I should’ve split stitched the outline, making a slighter, daintier grid. That would probably have worked better. Or a different color altogether, but I was trying to chose from what I have handy and nothing seemed quite right. Oh well, perhaps I’ll unpick and redo it at some point, but for now, I’m happy that this sampler – and the whole sampler project, to be honest – has officially done what it was supposed to…
… Show me a technique I want to explore more. Friends, I think this crewelwork is for me.