Here’s a quick little something I whipped up in bits over the last week, basically using this tutorial from Sew, Mama, Sew! and a pile of scraps. There’s not so much to share with this small project other than that I’m very pleased with how they came out, but I did have a little trouble with the binding at first. I thought the tutorial was a little unclear about the corner loop bit. It took ages but I finally figured it out – in case you’re stuck too, here’s what I did:
First of all, because these are a gift and are most likely to be used decoratively, I made the binding and hand-sewed it (from Amy Butler’s Love) around the back as if it was a normal quilt. (I’m much too lazy to bother for normal-use potholders.) Starting in one corner, as the tutorial says, I sewed around the first three sides and about halfway through the fourth as normal. There I stopped for a second, returned to the first corner and folded the start of the binding back over the stitching but not all the way around the edge yet. Maybe I’m just a big dummy, but I could not get that part for the longest time. (It seems obvious now though, looking at the tutorial again. D’oh.) Then I continued along the fourth side, stopping at the last edge with the remainder of the binding sticking straight out. To sew around the back, I just did as you would normally do for any quilt, but started right at the first corner. When I got back to that corner, I whipstitched the folded over loop fabric together, twisted it into a loop and sewed the (folded under) edge down.
Of course, you probably won’t have any problem with the loop at all and you’ll just wonder what my problem was. Me too really, but there it is just in case you didn’t get it either!