- I love all of the ‘Thrift Store Gore’ posts from The Little Big Blog, but this one about “The Ungame” is too awesome for words. Even though it’s basically a train-wreck marketed as group entertainment, I can’t help but want to play it at some sort of cocktail-fueled get-together.
- I’ve had Quentin Tarantino on the brain lately, with the DVD release of Django Unchained meaning I could finally watch it again, which also meant I had to watch Kill Bill and Inglourious Basterds for the eight zillionth times. So of course I loved these prints that re-work Tarantino’s films into classic Penguin book covers by artist Sharm Murugiah (via Flavorwire) – the Reservoir Dogs one especially nails it.
- Also seen on Flavorwire, this awesome list of the worst book cover designs ever. I mean, really, there’s just no words for some of these. I think the Scarlet Pimpernel is the best. No words.
1. so I couldn’t resist, 2. The feet of @gotthebutton and moi. :-), 3. New York Beauty, 4. sheets, 5. pekin knot hell, 6. Sashiko Inspired, 7. Today really is a Good Day, 8. finished my “low volume” quilt, 9. Great Grandmother’s Embroidery, 10. poduszka3, 11. violet likes the new quilt!, 12. narwhal bird, 13. New Wave Quilt – quilting, 14. Quilt Block Swap – May – For Debbie, 15. Progress!, 16. dresden plates.
Just a quickie today, but there’s so much gorgeous stuff out there right now. All you crafters out there make me just want to make more, more, more!
1. silhouette, 2. Freedom Quilt Detail, 3. Retro Rubies Front // Retro Rubies QAL, 4. Tapestry Wool, 5. Yarn Adventures Sock, 6. 5.73: Buttons, 7. Shale Baby Blanket, 8. rosa rosa tan maravillosa, 9. Antique French Floral Fabric, 10. Hellebore, 11. east wall, 12. love triangle quilt, 13. Periwinkle Star Quilt Finished, 14. Little Red Riding Hood Baby Quilt, 15. Untitled, 16. Vintage Chenille & Sheet Quilts, 17. From now onmy pasta must look this pretty, 18. Handwoven Linen, Silk and Cotton Table Runner, 19. Printing day., 20. The new star quilt, 21. The Pincushion Project is complete, 22. February Project Mini | Stargazer, 23. mine Round Robin., 24. 77:365, 25. Embroidered K
Again, no links to share this week, I’m not sure why except that I’ve been oddly busy and not trawling around on the internet as much lately? Whatever the case, here’s some wonderful beautiful treasures from Flickr for you to investigate and, hey, don’t forget to enter my giveaway!!
1. dots_cat, 2. Etoile géante, 3. Finis caput., 4. Briggs, 5. out to sea zigzag II, 6. Blueberries in lavendar and blue, 7. Purple Magic, 8. Monstros a solta!, 9. flickr.com/photos/15866934@N00/8550156479/, 10. green, 11. Skunk, 12. Black Coffee Mitts: in progress, 13. I love the center of each of the stars, 14. Vintage Sheet Giant Star Quilt, 15. Boy and Girl., 16. triangle sampler
I weirdly don’t seem to have any special links saved up to share this week, so here’s I’ve added a few extra drool-worthy photos from my Flickr favorites to make up for it. I don’t know about you, but I really need a little pretty break this week. Enjoy!
1. tiny flowers deer, 2. Blue Bird With Pink Flowers, 3. Tiny flowers, 4. Tri-chem # 0673 p. 13 d, 5. MINI QUILT – DRESDEN PLATE, 6. Working On An Idea at Much Ado About Cookies, 7. Cookies and Cream dessert in a jar, 8. into the unknown, 9. New Year, New You – Linen Caribou Pillow Front, 10. Minigirlande Mini Bunting, 11. 30’s Repro Fabric From Japan, 12. Vintage Stars 003, 13. For the bird lovers :), 14. Huivin suojelija, 15. purse LOTTI …, 16. I #embroidery #stitching #skeleton #bones, 17. very hard to capture the white crosshatch background but it’s a really lovely pretty fabric… #architextures, 18. Scrappy Trip Block #1, 19. Polwarth Silk Cinder Rose, 20. Peacock Rag Rug, 21. LW 1243 cat 1, 22. março – march, 23. Vintage French Spools, 24. Paper peicing star block 13, 25. Granny #2
- Wow. This Grantland article is a few months old now, but it’s like someone read my mind about Tim Burton (and Johnny Depp, who used to be my one true love, and now just makes me miss 21 Jump Street).
- Also not a new post, but I was looking for tutorials for Cathedral Window blocks recently and came across this incredible vintage embroidery project by My Bear Paw. There are no words. I just wish I’d thought of something half as clever to do with those lovely vintage embroideries I always want a use for!
- These Vintage Mugshots from the 1920s (via TwistedSifter) are an amazing peek into another world. They’re beautiful, but that feels like such a weird thing to say about mugshots. Just have a look and I bet you’ll know what I mean.
- I’m looking forward to kicking ass in my annual family Oscar pool next week (ahem, cross your fingers for me, ok? I’ve totally already mentally spent the winnings!). In the meantime, pass the time with this year’s official Oscars poster. Beautiful *and* entertaining all on its own.
- Have you seen the new cover to “celebrate” (those are totally sarcastic quotes, by the way) the anniversary of Sylvia Plath’s “The Bell Jar”?? Absolutely shameful. I’m saw it in Waterstone’s last week and it’s somehow even worse in person. Sigh.
- You just can’t help but compare it to this incredibly effective, respectful, and powerful new cover for George Orwell’s “1984”. It makes me want to buy another copy. If you haven’t read “1984”, it might not mean much to you, but — hey, if you haven’t read “1984”, what the hell are you doing here reading this nonsense?! This is such an important book, especially with the way the world is today. Go get it *now*.
1. frame pouch, 2. Knit is good, 3. Roman Hills – Don’t Blink, 4. snowflake for Anna, 5. spinning 27a, 6. Make a Wish, 2013 completed threadpainting, 7. Pidge, 8. Happy, simple blocks for one of my fave ladies, @birdydanana #healcircle #dogoodstitches, 9. A Closer Look/Feed Sack Baby Blanket, 10. Viewmaster Reels, 11. post-blocking: larch shawlette, take two, 12. Kiragami Flake Pillow, 13. Detail of vintage 1930s feedsack quilt, 14. Favorite SS Stack, 15. Sunday Eye Candy, 16. Kristen Hersh embroidered Portrait