Vintage Embroidery Blocking, Take 2.

Thank you guys SO much for the tips you shared on blocking embroideries! I’ve given it another go with my vintage girl, and this time followed the post shared by Kim (who I just noticed is stitching along with my french knot sampler, yay!) from Mary Corbet’s Needle ‘n Thread: Damp Stretching and Blocking Embroidery.

Re-blocking my vintage embroidered girl

That post basically says to do what I did with, I suspect, one important difference: using a enormous crapload of pins. The first time I blocked this girl, I pinned it as if it was knitting – the pins aren’t very closely spaced. I suppose this gave it the give it needed to bunch back up as it dried. As you can see above, this time I pinned it (dry) and used about ten thousand pins, then sprayed it as Mary suggests. It looks like the circus came to town, but it seems to have worked!

Re-blocking my vintage embroidered girl

A totally awkward bathroom tile shot, but lookit how flat! It’s all dry there, but I still haven’t unpinned it yet. I’m secretly afraid that it will all go all rumply again the second I take the pins out. Next up, I have to decide how I’m going to reframe it!

1 Comment on Vintage Embroidery Blocking, Take 2.

  1. Hannapat
    September 1, 2013 at 20:13 (4 years ago)

    Hello, I have just found your lovely blog and feel so excited about it. I love your latest embroidery project. I am fairly new to the art, well actually VERY new to it, but I am really enjoying the little bits that I have done. I am looking forward to spending loads more time here. Wishing you a very lovely week xoxo

    Reply

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Comment *